24 May 2009

ELEPHANT TEST

Elephant Test
(An idea or situation that is hard to describe but instantly recognisable when spotted)



From Ruby Laser Rods, recycled dynamos and glass oars to coracles made from 8ft long, hand drawn Ash laths, the development of my art practice has taken me down many paths since I began my residency in August 2007.

With the demands of leading an ambitious youth arts programme, my own work has almost all happened whilst thinking about something else….

The nomadic nature of my career thus far and the international dimensions of my past experiences have led to a semi conscious desire to always map and travel, even within small regions and spaces. Whilst on North Uist, I saw a model of a man carrying a coracle. A coracle is almost the most perfect nomadic vehicle I can think of. It is light enough to be carried easily, can be made entirely from natural materials, can travel across water and even provide shelter. I set about making one under the guidance of local green wood worker and coppicer, Mike Ellis. After being taught the basic green wood working skills that I would need, I made an oar from a single piece of Ash. The coracle that should have accompanied it however, stubbornly resisted completion. As a fatalist myself, I finally gave in after six months of trying... it didn’t want to be made…yet!

Had I made the coracle, my plan was to travel across Sutherland from West to East, walking, paddling, climbing. I believe there are two types of people. There are those who are for the mountains and there are those who are for the sea. I am for the mountains but that dos not mean abandoning water, Sutherland is full of it. Still, without a coracle how could I still make my journey?

The answer lay in the character whom I had always invisaged carrying the coracle. In a new line of enquiry, I had intended to make the journey in animal character, not as myself as is usually the case. A mythical creature.
I have always found that the best myths have their rootings in reality.

Three unlikely characters inhabit the photographic archive in Timespan: a llama, a camel and an elephant. These three same animals have also looked down at me for almost 2 years in which ever space I have been working in at the time. Instantly drawn to them as so many people are, they had been waiting for me to see. A travelling circus.

Shot mostly on Arkle, the golden elephant is my nomad, as captive and wild creature, he knew only travel. His poncho, both cloak and tent is all he needs. I had passed the elephant test at last…

I would like to express special thanks to the following people for their advice, help and services during the making of this work: Julie Jappy, Lindsay Sekulowicz, Cath Whippey, Reay Estate, Rachel Skene and David Shaw.

As the final project in this residency I will be producing a book with the working title: Elephant Test and other Trials, as documentation of all my completed and awaiting projects from the past two years.

ELEPHANT TEST
Video: 6 mins 51 looped
Also showing in the grounds of Tate Modern, 22-25 May as part of the Arte Povera Installation